|My niece wearing sweet monkey hat with flower.|
I love this monkey hat! It's so fun! You can make it with or without earflaps - plain or with a flower - monkey colored or bright blue. Be a little silly and make one for yourself and your favorite small person!
- Monkey Hat -
|My niece getting prepared for UF's next football season.|
|My friend's daughter & husband.|
*For personal use only, please do not sell pattern.*
Worked in continuous rounds, Do not join.
G hook = 3-6 mo's
H hook = approx 17" circumference 6-12 months (19" once stretched, 12-24 mo's)
I hook = should be 20.4" circumference Kids
J hook = should be 21.8" circumference Ladies (may want to add 3 rows to increase height)
SC- Single Chain
MR- Magic Ring (See bottom of post for instructions if you're not familiar with magic ring)
* - Repeat anything between two stars until end of row (or as specified)
Hat: start with MR
1: 6 sc in magic ring
2: 2 sc in each (12)
3: *2 dc , 1 dc* (18)
4: *2 dc , 1 dc* (27)
5: *2 dc, dc in next 2 ch* (36)
6: *2 dc, dc in next ch* (54)
7-12: dc in each ch around (54), at end of row 12: sl st ... then in next ch continue with round 13- this is the beginning of Ear flap 1 (or finish off to make hat without flaps)
13: ch 2, 10 dc , turn (10)
14: ch 2, dec 2 dc , dc in next 6 ch , dec 2 dc , turn (8)
15: ch 2, dec 2 dc , dc in next 6 ch , turn (7)
16: ch 2, dec 2 dc , 5 dc , turn (6)
17: ch 2, dec 2 dc , 4 dc , turn (5)
18: ch 2, dec 2 dc , 3 dc , turn (4)
19: ch 2, dec 2 dc , 2 dc , turn (3)
20: ch 2, dec 3 dc , finish off ... skip 17 dc spaces & follow steps for 2nd flap
Flap 2: sl st to join yarn to 18th ch away from flap 1 (start next dc in same space as join)
1: ch 2, 10 dc , turn (10)
2: ch 2, dec 2 dc , dc in next 6 ch , dec 2 dc , turn (8)
3: ch 2, dc in next 6 ch , dec 2 dc , turn (7)
4: ch 2, 5 dc , dec 2 dc , turn (6)
5: ch 2, 4 dc , dec 2 dc , turn (5)
6: ch 2, 3 dc , dec 2 dc , turn (4)
7: ch 2, 2 dc , dec 2 dc , turn (3)
8: ch 2, dec 3 dc , finish off
Neck Flap- added on backside of hat starting in the same space as the last dc on row 13
1. Join yarn w/ sl st, Chain 2, sl st to the closest DC on 1st row of ear flap.
17 dc , join w/ sl st to ear flap , turn.
2. Ch 2 , dec 2 dc (not in sl st, start in last DC) , dc 13 , dec 2 dc , turn.
3. Dec 2 dc , dc 11 , dec 2 dc , turn
4. Dec 2 dc , dc 9 , dec 2 dc , finish off.
SC around edge of hat in contrasting color.
How to add braided chin strap to ear Flaps:
1. Cut 6 strands of yarn (4 dark & 2 light).
2. Group 3 strands together and fold in half. Grab the halfway point and thread that end through the bottom space of each flap, pulling it through just enough to create a loop sticking through the flap. Then pull the loose ends of the yarn up through that loop. When you pull tight, this should lock the yarn in place.
3. Repeat step 2 with the 3 strands of yarn left.
4. You will now have 6 strands of yarn hanging from both flaps. Create 3 groups of yarn (with 2 strands each). Braid and tie the ends off with a knot.
-threading (pull loop of 3 strands inside of hat, then pull yarn ends through loop to fasten to flap)
Ears: (use same hook size used for hat)
1. 6 sc in magic ring
2. 2 sc in ea ch (12)
3. *2 sc , sc in next ch* (18)
4. *2 sc , sc in next 2 ch* (24)
-switch yarn color-
5&6. sc around , finish off.
Use the tail of yarn left to attach the ears to the hat using a large needle.
Placement of ears: Starting at back edge of ear flap, count 4 dc forward and 4 rows up from the brim of hat.
Flower: start with MR
1: 11 SC in MR , join in first SC of round 1 , chain 1. (Note: Yarn over both the MR loop of yarn and the yarn tail. This will hide & secure it inside the flower.)
Now, Leave yarn tail dangling for round 2, do not yarn over tail again until round 3.
2: SC in same stitch , chain 3 , skip a chain and *SC in next chain, chain 3 , skip a chain* (repeat 5 times to create 6 total loops)
slip stitch to new color in last SC of row 1 , pull yarn tail of MR tight closing up the center before starting round 3.
3: *chain 1 , 6 DC , ch 1 , slip stitch to post of row 2* (repeat 6 times) , finish off. (Note: This row creates the flower petals. All DC's are made on the loops of ch 3's. After changing colors, you will have 3 yarn tails- 2 of the first color used and 1 of the new color... yarn over all 3 yarn tails during round 3 to hide and secure them.)
How to make a magic ring (MR):
1. With your non-dominant hand, hold a piece of yarn between your thumb and first two fingers with the yarn tail hanging down.
2. With your dominant hand, grasp the long end of yarn up away from yarn tail and down around the backside of ND hand. Continue this circular motion in toward you and up over ND hand so that it crosses over the yarn held in ND hand. (Figure A)
3. With dominant hand, let go of yarn and pick up hook. Insert hook under bottom strand of yarn (Figure B) and hook over top strand pulling it under lower strand. Now hook up and over ring and hook yarn (Figure C) pulling it through the loop that was formed on the crochet hook from initially hooking under the ring of yarn. Pull slip knot you just created tight. (Figure D)
4. You have now created the magic ring and can make your first round of stitches the ring by hooking under this ring of yarn while holding it taught.
For more help try:
General Crochet Tutorials thanks to Nexstitch
General Crochet Tutorials thanks to Crochet Geek blog ...aka crochet mania
Magic Ring Video Tutorial
***** I’m happy to share this pattern, but please credit me if you repost and please don’t sell without permission.******